The joys and frustrations of a cattle class traveler...

"But when I decided to cross the preconceived limitations I've set myself earlier; my fence posts
were moved and my boundaries extended!
"...Georgine Crawford

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Takapuna Flea Market: A Good Little Market to Visit

The only reason I will get up early on a Sunday morning is to go out for a walk!  The only other two reasons are: I have an early flight or my mother rings to wake me up because she wants to go to the markets!

I like the idea of buying fresh produce without the middle man so I am happy to oblige.  You'll find organic fresh vegetables and fruits to olive oils and jams and herbs.



                                                                                                                                             
You'll find accessories like bags and hats; necessities like socks and personal items!  Plus clothing that looks a bit different from the ones that hangs on the shops especially if you are game to try them on.  I thought I should give it a go and $20 poorer later I went home with a black dress that actually hides my tummy.


















                                                                                                                                 
Then there's fresh bread and pastries cooked just a couple of hours or so ago before they hit the market.  From french pastries to cookies, your taste buds are challenged and mine never wins!  I never fail to drop by at the Cherruria stand, a regular at Takapuna Market!  I love the Spanish Churros which has now become a part of each visit!











Plant lovers or garden enthusiasts will love Takapuna Market.  You'll find seedlings to potted plants and shrubs, palms and of course cut flowers.











If you are an artsy person or looking for something Kiwiana, bric-a brac or just want to forage; Takapuna Market has them too:





















And every now and then there are those that come to promote a new product.  Like this young gentleman Bertrand who was happy to pose for me "as long as you are not from the Secret Service" he said in his cute European accent:

 And if you think that's all you'll ever get to see, you might just enjoy listening to any one of these guys and gals.  They give the market that up beat feel in exchange for a few coins...or if you wish you can have all your knotted muscles melted away by the Chinese masseurs, also regulars.
 










All year round except during some very wet days in winter, this place will not fail to deliver.  It buzzes with energy, colour and aroma!  It can stimulate your senses as you wind your way around the many stalls!  I find this quite therapeutic and heart warming!  I love having that chance to actually talk to the stall holders, share a joke or two and get to know them since most of them are there every Sunday!  The smile and chatter you share can sometimes turn into a dollar or two off you next purchase or a give away fruit or herb.


Whatever your reasons are for visiting Takapuna Market, I'm sure you'll find it quite interesting.  Not the biggest in the Region but sure have the character that allowed it to grow steadily from it's humble beginnings.  When you're done shopping, grab a nice cup of coffee along Hurstmere Road or walk the beautiful Takapuna Beach before returning home with thy bounty.
 
Takapuna Flea Market:
Central Carpark, Anzac Street
6.00am to 12.00/Sundays
Ph 376 2367


Getting There:
From the city you can pick up a bus at the Britomart that goes to the Bays or the Gulf  Harbour via Takapuna.  They all pass by Lake Road in Takapuna, right smack next to the Market.  Or take a more leisurely route by getting onto the Fullers Ferry to Devonport and take a bus from Devonport to Takapuna or a cab if you don't want to bus.

Other places of interest near the market:  Takapuna Beach, Devonport (go up Mt. Victoria for a 360 degrees view of central Auckland and North Shore Cities and the Bays.

No comments:

Post a Comment