The joys and frustrations of a cattle class traveler...

"But when I decided to cross the preconceived limitations I've set myself earlier; my fence posts
were moved and my boundaries extended!
"...Georgine Crawford

Monday, November 8, 2010

Auckland Harbour Cruise and Hot Stone Dining with Waipa Delta

I had to do something memorable for my auntie who was visiting from Ontario last week.  Last Thursday I took her and seven others on a Dinner Cruise with Waipa Delta along the Auckland Harbour.  I found out they only cruise on a Thursday and Sunday.  I have always enjoyed it when we use to go for lunch on this boat along Waikato River in Hamilton.  I have very fond memories of it so to speak but I wasn't very impressed this time.

Their booking system is not very convenient.  I would rather call a mobile number or have their 0800 number redirected to a landline or mobile number because it creates a lot of to-ing and fro-ing leaving messages and all that.  Anyway I wanted something different for my aunt so I went along with it.

 






Because I've done this several times already I knew how the food was served but none of my companions knew.  In Hamilton they used to have a leaflet that explained how the food is served and how it is cooked.  Please click here to read about the Hot Stone or Hot Rock Dining System.They didn't have it this time or if they did we never saw it.  So I presumed the staff (waiter) will explain a bit about it to my guests.  But that never happened.

The antipasto came we ordered drinks  (mainly diet cokes and juice) the rest were feeling cold and decided to have coffee before their meal.  Everything was fine, they were happy taking photos and going outside on the deck to absorb the view.  One of the ladies asked for butter and the old lady staff said in a very unfriendly tone "we don't serve butter".  So they started to complain. There was no explanation why butter is not served.



 

There were two staffs on that evening, the lady (I presume the operator) and a young shy lad.  There were only three tables.  Ours and two couples.  So the boat was quite sparsely full. The young lad came to take our orders for our mains and we all went for the steak except a couple who went for the chicken and the other went for the pork.  Still no one attempted to explain anything about the food.


Then the simple very basic salad was served. I like greens so I was happy with that.  He, the waiter, at the same time wanted to clear the antipasto away.  I very nicely asked if I can keep one because I love to nibble on the olives.  He offered to leave the rest of the olives from the other plates which I gladly took.

Few minutes later, the meals came.  Served on Hot Stones, I was given the first one and suddenly there was a lot of murmuring going on around our table.  The next dish came, the meat was really fresh, raw and as red as can be.  I looked at my aunt and her friend and I saw 'horror' written all over their face.  "I don't think I can eat that", she said. "This is horrible how do they expect us to eat this" said her friend.  I tried to explain what the hot stone does to their meat but my voice was drowned away by their terrified chatters.  My heart started to sink in and thought :"Oh my it looks like I've disappointed everyone".


 My auntie's friend complained to the lady on the boat who tried to tell them what it was all about.  But she was really short tempered.  I think she expected everyone to know exactly what they were serving or how their meals are served.  She said it was my fault because I was the one who booked it and should have let them know.  What a terrible thing to say to a person who has brought them business that night.  It might sound bad in here but not as bad as my letter to the management, when it gets to them:-D anyway!

Once they've stopped complaining especially after the lady obliged them a few pieces of butter, they settled in and started to appreciate the transformation of their meal right in their very eyes.  The trick, I said was to cut the meat in bite size pieces so it cooks faster.  Everyone started digging in and the steam coming up from the meals started to fill the space.  It's the most delicious smell, unadulterated taste and smell of a piece of NZ steak.  I guess thats the best way I can describe it.




So they were all settled and full.  The desserts came and most of them had it in a flash, they were gone so fast!  Before we left, my aunt said she really enjoyed her meal and it will be a memorable experience for her!  Just what I was trying to achieve in the first place


 

 
 



Information about this Auckland Dinner Cruise with Waipa Delta

Price:            Adult: $79  /Child (5-12yrs): $39 with children menu /Infant (up to 4 years): 
                     Family  (2 adults and up to 3 children): $239 -

Days:            Thursdays / Sundays
Time:            1900 hrs - 2100 hrs
Leaves from: Pier 4 Prince’s Wharf along Quay Street, Auckland

Service:         Very Poor bordering to almost rude
Meal:             Average but I like the idea of Hot Stone Dining because it is Healthy and Fun
Operator:      Waipa Delta
Phone:           0800 472 335
Interior:         Needing some refurbishment to make it look more appealing
Over All Rating:   6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment